Find out how to become a real estate agent.
Becoming an Agent
It is important to determine whether or not a career in real estate is for you. We recommend that you spend a few minutes taking the online Reinhart Career Assessment to help determine your potential. It’s quick and painless. Results come in minutes.
In Michigan, a 40 hour class, ranging from $200 to $300, is required to sit for the licensing test. This is the course mandated by the Michigan Real Estate Commission that all new potential licensees in the state of Michigan must take before sitting for the licensing exam. The class can be taken online or in a classroom all in one week, on Saturdays or in the evenings. Many real estate schools send class materials in advance so you have an opportunity to prepare before classes begin, becoming familiar with terminology and basic procedures.
In the pre-license class, which prepares you for you licensing examination, you will learn about state and federal real estate laws, issues relating to fair housing, agency relationships, forms of ownership and real estate terminology.
Prior to taking the Michigan examination, you must show proof that you have completed a minimum of 40 hours of State approved real estate courses. Your instructor will give you all the necessary information to schedule your exam.
(Obtaining a Real Estate Salesperson License):
- Be at least 18 years of age or older
- Complete MREC approved pre-licensing course
- 40 hours in a classroom/online
- Approved course available through Michigan Institute of Real Estate
- Pass examination
- Administered by Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP)
- Complete Application including:
- Completed application form
- Required fee
- Broker’s signature
- Be of “good moral character”
- If you hold a license currently or in the past in another state you will need a current letter stating that you are in good standing with the real estate commission of that state
(After Obtaining a Salesperson License):
- Complete continuing education requirement annual
- Renew every year
- 6 clock hours
- At least 2 hours must entail real estate law, rules, and court cases involving real estate
- 3 year renewal cycle
- 18 clock hours of continuing education
Sample Costs for New Realtors
- Pre License Training
- Michigan Institute of Real Estate - $295
- State of Michigan
- Exam and License Fee - $100- $150
- Ann Arbor Area Board of Realtors
- Application Fee - $450
- Annual Dues - $526 (pro rated 10/1 to 9/30)
- Quarterly MLS Fee - $165
- Central Lock System Quarterly - $24